Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

No better time to start this blog.

Since "The West Wing" got over some time last spring, I've been missing that passion, that adrenaline, that power, that intelligence, that diction, that class, that suaveness, that fucking HEAT. And hell, in the first 10 minutes of "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip", it all just came alive again.

Recently there have been many, and I stress, many times I have witnessed, considered, analyzed, brooded, at the cliche'd time long struggle of good vs. evil (to speak in broad broad paradigms). I suppose a better way to put it would be to say...you see how many things there are just fighting down and choking the throat of everything you so innately and instrinsically believe to be true and right. And it makes you want to stop trying. Maybe not in the physical, practical, routine sense. But in the ideological sense. You live through these days just quarrelling with yourself about the thousands of things that stick like thorns in your soft-as-a-baby's-butt mind. And then you get exhausted! Hell, it's about time.

But I swear, in barely the first 5 minutes of when I tuned to "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" (oh, and mind you, it was by accident I was reminded today was its premier), there was this pulse just racing through me. Somehow, somehow, Aaron Sorkin manages to show situations and characters that, albeit might be your ideological nemesis, don't just malign the world...they make it worth the fight.

Don't get me wrong. I'm hardly going to wake up tomorrow with a brand new sun shining out of my eyes, ready to take on the world! Truly, it may not alter my day-to-day perception very much. But somehow, somewhere, it inspires something. I'm not quite sure what, because it hasn't had any tangible results, but I can only hope that what I feel deep inside in some lost, unlocateable part of me, will someday choose to reveal itself. And that it will be worth seeing, touching, and experiencing. I think it inspires a kind of fire for patience that only a violent and firm love...and someone very special can inspire. Hell, last time I felt that way was when I was with such a person! Of course, that has a much more real and palpable difference. And God, do I need some of that. But hey, that's for a different blog maybe.

Right now, it's about the return of Aaron Sorkin. And my heart-racer...Bradley Whitford. Even Matthew Perry might turn out to be a pleasant surprise. I think I'm just so defaulted into seeing him as good old Chandler on Friends, it's hard to take him in as a fully serious character. But I think I'll come around.

Aah the intellectual energy just brimming, and then just flowing out of every conceivable and inconceivable pore...of the TV, of me...of the damn air! Just revitalized parts of you I suppose. It's like this vibration that wakes you up. And man, is it HOT. It's sexy. It's just such a turn on.

The show starts off like that. With the taboo. It was amazing. To see such inspired and risen minds, with informed, knowledgeable opinions on society. What Wes (Judd Hirsch) says about people competing to be like Donald Trump, getting paid to eat bugs, and seeing who can "sleep with my sister". So fucking true. And it's easy, in that moment, seeing this man who runs a top television show...come out and just blurt these things. And you think "Hell, why don't people just do that? Intelligent people can take the bluntness!" But then you see right at the end Danny (Bradley Whitford) say how he thinks it was a stupid thing to do. And you know he feels the same way. But he still says it was stupid. That conflict is really the spine of all this. Lots of people believe in the right thing. It's finding the right way to do the right thing that really gets people riled up. I love watching it. So much like "The West Wing". Aah I can't wait for this show to roll out.

Enough of my rant for now. Until next week, then! (For my guess is, that's when I'll want to come back and write more.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home